The International School for Optoelectronic Engineering at Qilu University of Technology (Shandong Academy of Sciences) is a new initiative committed to the highest international standards in research and teaching and to building its reputation in the international community. At this critical stage in the development of the School, it invites applications for ten full-time, assistant/associate/full Professor positions in the area of optoelectronic engineering, the speciality of the School. Applicants for these posts must hold a doctorate in a relevant field and be fully committed to the international aspects of the life and work of the School.
Qilu University of Technology (Shandong Academy of Sciences), located in Jinan, is a key applied research University in Shandong Province and a comprehensive natural science research institution in Shandong Province. In August 2017, the Shandong Provincial Government integrated Qilu University of Technology with the Shandong Academy of Sciences to form the new Qilu University of Technology. The International School for Optoelectronic Engineering (hereinafter referred to as "School") is an international academy with rich experience in teaching, scientific research and management established by Qilu University of Technology (Shandong Academy of Sciences) in 2018 on the basis of integrating the superior scientific and educational resources of the Laser Institute of Shandong Academy of Sciences and the Department of Optoelectronic Information of Qilu University of Technology. This independent school, established in accordance with the construction standard of the National "International Demonstration School Promotion Plan", was formally established with the first student enrolling in 2018.
Successful candidates are expected to initiate new, externally funded research in this field, as well as to expand, complement and collaborate with existing research programmes in the School, the industrially-focused Laser Institute and beyond. Candidates are sought with experience in some or all of the areas of instrument science and technology, optoelectronic engineering, optical engineering, instrumentation and measurement, laser physics, optoelectronic integration, optical fiber sensing technology, applied physics, computer technology and applications, optoelectronic technology and related fields.
Preference will be given to candidates whose skills base will expand the School’s optoelectronic engineering research, while enthusiastically seeking interdisciplinary collaborations with other research areas of excellence within Shandong Academy of Sciences. Examples of this include advanced manufacturing and design, with college-wide collaborations in laser research and applications, mine industry safety, food safety and environmental protection. The School is committed to being recognized as a community of faculty, students, and staff that is increasingly inclusive, collaborative, diverse, and centered on student success. As such, applicants who will broaden the capacity to advance student success irrespective of individual identities, racial/ethnic categories, and socioeconomic backgrounds are sought.
Key responsibilities of the positions include teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels and developing a sustainable, internally and externally-funded and nationally recognized research programme in Optoelectronic Engineering. Applicants with PhD in a subject such as Optoelectronic Engineering and other closely related areas mentioned above are required. Other duties and required qualifications are listed in the position description.
The positions will remain open until filled, so there is currently no deadline advertised. To be assured of full consideration for these posts, applicants should send, as soon as possible with a letter of interest the following; CV (resumé); two-page statement of research interests and plans; one-page statement of teaching interests and how this fits the approach of the School; one-page statement outlining how your experience, education, and/or training will help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community; and names and contact information of three referees.
With the goal of establishing a first-class international professional School, the School has introduced an advanced engineering education and training system and curriculum specifically to train students in this key area of optoelectronics, developing in the student group an international vision, outstanding English proficiency and strong scientific research ability. The School will draw heavily on the scientific research expertise accumulated by the Laser Institute over several decades, building on their scientific research achievements designed to serve society closely. Students graduating from the School will can engage in internationally-recognized scientific research activities through the research platform of the Laser Institute and thus grow into outstanding talents in the fields of Optoelectronic Engineering and Instrumentation Science. The School cooperates closely with the Laser Institute to carry out high-level scientific research, incubate high-quality scientific research achievements and promote industrial exploitation of scientific research achievements and promote in the students a strong ethos of entrepreneurship.
Duties of the Staff of the School
In summary the duties of the new staff appointed to the School include:
· 50% Teaching and related duties
o Teaching of undergraduate and/or graduate courses in Optoelectronic Engineering, Measurement and Instrumentation, Applied Physics, Optical fiber Sensor and their applications, Laser Science and/or relevant courses .
· 40% Research and scholarly activities
o Research, scholarship, mentoring students, and management of multidisciplinary research programmes
· 10% Administrative duties
o Service to the School, University, and the Profession
(i) The Minimum/Required Qualifications for All Levels:
· Applicants must have gained a PhD in a relevant subject which may be: instrument science and technology, optoelectronic engineering, optical engineering, instrumentation and measurement, laser physics, optoelectronic integration, optical fiber sensing technology, applied physics, computer technology and applications, optoelectronic technology, motor control technology, or closely related area prior to position start date.
· Applicants must have demonstrated the ability or significant potential for excellent teaching, leadership and collaboration in innovative research, and attracting the necessary funding to sustain a vigorous research program.
· Applicants must have proven oral and written communication skills.
· Applicants must have a demonstrable commitment to the international approach of the School and to promoting and enhancing diversity and inclusion.
(ii) Minimum/Required Qualifications for Associate/Assistant Professor Level:
· Applicants must have a record of achievement in innovative research programmes and publication activity.
· Applicants must have a demonstrable ability to establish effective university/industry/government laboratory relationships.
· Applicants must have developed and taught high quality undergraduate and graduate courses with emphasis on the multi-disciplinary nature of mechanical, industrial, and/or manufacturing engineering.
(iii) Minimum/Required Qualifications for Full Professor Level:
· Applicants must have a record of national or international recognition and collaboration.
· Applicants must have a record of service to the profession through organizing or governing committees of appropriate professional societies.
(iv) Preferred (Special) Qualifications for All Levels:
· Demonstrated ability (Associate/Full) or significant potential (Assistant) to teach courses in industrial engineering at the graduate level.
· Demonstrated ability to conduct experimental and analytical research in industrial engineering.
· Postdoctoral and/or industry experience in a relevant area.
Number of Vacancies
10 (across the different Levels of Assistant/Associate/Full Professor)
Anticipated Appointment Start Date
As soon as possible
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure full consideration, applications must be sent as soon as possible. Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position has been filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.
When applying, you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A letter of interest indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
2) A CV that includes the names of at least three professional references with their email addresses and telephone contact numbers listed (upload as ‘Professional References’ if not included with your vitae).
3) A two-page statement of research interests and how these fit with the International School.
4) A one-page statement of teaching interests and how these fit with the International School.
5) A one-page statement outlining how your experience, education and/or training will help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community and both why you are particularly interested in a post in this new International School and how your experience and expertise fits you for this.
For further information, please contact Dr Yanong Ning at firstname.lastname@example.org